Monday 27 May 2013

Book Review: The Runaway Queen by Cassandra Clare and Maureen Johnson (Bane Chronicles #2)

Yay so I finally read this...and..... umm......

Title: The Runaway Queen (Bane Chronicles #2)
Authors: Cassandra Clare and Maureen Johnson





Synopsis:

While in France, immortal warlock Magnus Bane finds himself attempting to rescue the royal family from the horrors of the French Revolution—after being roped into this mess by a most attractive count. Naturally, the daring escape calls for invisible air balloons…



Review: 

So while I loved What Happened In Peru for it's hilarity and typical Magnus-ness, I really didn't like this one. I'll try and put this nicely, shall I?

Plot:  It seemed more like a badly written fanfiction than a short story by two published authors. It was boring and cliched, and really unexciting. Really. 

Characters: Magnus was weird in this one. In this book he seemed mysteriously out of character, willing to participate in big historical events just to get to know a guy better, possibly risking his life. He (of course) fell for a hot young man with black hair and blue eyes. The man gave his name as Axel von Fersen. 

HOLD UP.


Firstly, Axel was actually a real political figure. He was rumoured to be a lover of Marie Antoinette, and according to the facts, he most likely had hazel eyes and light brown hair (he may have dyed it black, but still). So down major points for historical inaccuracy. 

Okay, so Axel was weird in this episode, and he kissed Magnus (ie he's gay) butbutbut... I don't know if just felt badly characterized. And they also mentioned that Marie Antoinette said the "Let them eat cake" (fun fact: She never said it.) But since we've established that historical inaccuracy's gone down the drain, that's fine. 

What I liked was his interaction with other Downworlders from Paris. Lovely. Vampires. The Vampires of Paris? I like the way it sounds. 

Writing: I guess the writing was alright. 

So overall I didn't like it much, so I'm waiting impatiently for the next one.



Grade: B- 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want my opinion on anything, or want to share your opinion on anything I've said, comment below!